Snacks and exercise may not sound like they go together, but what you eat before and after working out can make a big difference in how your body responds.1
Older adults who combine nutritious snacks with exercise may see greater reductions in their resting blood pressure and gain more muscle mass than with exercise alone.1 In fact, having a healthy snack after strength training is one of the best ways to increase muscle mass for older adults.
Here are some snack suggestions to make the most of your workouts:
Pre-workout.2 For more energy, eat snacks with carbohydrates one hour before exercising, such as:
- Whole-grain cereals or bread
- Banana, apple or other fresh fruit
- Yogurt or low-fat milk
Post-workout.2 To help your muscles recover, eat snacks with both carbohydrates and protein, within two hours after exercising, such as:
- Fruit smoothie
- Peanut butter sandwich
- Turkey on whole-grain bread with vegetables
SilverSneakers is a lifestyle and fitness program designed specifically for seniors, and is included with your KelseyCare Advantage plan at no additional cost. Check out articles from SilverSneakers like 6 Best Snacks to Eat Before and After a Cardio Workout.
With SilverSneakers, you’re sure to find something to fit your level, from SilverSneakers Classic with seated options, to high-intensity Total Body Strength. Plus, SilverSneakers gives you access to:
- memberships to thousands of fitness locations3 (visit as many as you like)
- group exercise classes4 designed for all abilities
- instructors trained in senior fitness
- fun activities held outside the gym
- SilverSneakers On-Demand online workout videos for at-home workouts, available 24/7
- SilverSneakers LIVE full-length classes and workshops (exercise with others, but from the comfort of home)
- SilverSneakers GO mobile app with workout programs, location finder and more
Discover a health and fitness benefit for adults 65+. Go to SilverSneakers.com/GetStarted to get your SiIverSneakers ID number today.
Always talk with your doctor before starting any exercise program. Always discuss significant changes in nutrition with your doctor, especially if you have a chronic condition or take prescription medication regularly.
- Participating locations (“PL”) are not owned or operated by Tivity Health, Inc. or its affiliates. Use of PL facilities and amenities are limited to terms and conditions of PL basic membership. Facilities and amenities vary by PL.
- Membership includes SilverSneakers instructor-led group fitness classes. Some locations offer members additional classes. Classes vary by location.
SilverSneakers and the SilverSneakers shoe logotype are registered trademarks of Tivity Health, Inc. © 2023 Tivity Health, Inc. All rights reserved. SSFP3916_0123