- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, rinsed and finely chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, rinsed and finely chopped
- 1½ Tbsp garlic, mashed (about 3 cloves)
- 12 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into thin strips
- ⅓ C no-salt-added tomato sauce
- ⅓ C low-sodium chicken broth
- ⅓ C lemon juice
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- ⅓ C water
- ¼ C golden seedless raisins
- 1 Tbsp fresh cilantro, rinsed, dried, and chopped (or substitute 1 tsp dried coriander)
- 1 Tbsp capers, drained
- 2 Tbsp green olives, chopped
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Yields: 6 servings
Serving Size: ¾ C chicken and vegetables
- Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onion, bell peppers, and garlic, and sauté until vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken, and stir fry for another 5–10 minutes until chicken is no longer pink inside.
- Add the tomato sauce, chicken broth, lemon juice, cumin, bay leaves, water, and raisins to the vegetables and chicken.
- Cover the pan, and reduce the heat. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves, and garnish with fresh cilantro, capers, and green olives, and serve.
Tip: Serve with brown rice and black beans.
Source: National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute; National Institutes of Health; U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
|Total fat||5 g|
|Saturated fat||1 g|
|Total fiber||2 g|