Fraud Alert: COVID-19 Survey Scams
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office of Inspector General is alerting the public about fraud schemes related to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19). Scammers are using telemarketing calls, text messages, social media platforms, and door-to-door visits to perpetrate COVID-19-related scams.
- Be careful! Scammers are selling fake and unauthorized at-home COVID-19 test kits in exchange for your personal or medical information. Make sure to purchase FDA approved COVID-19 test kits from legitimate providers.
- As volunteers go door-to-door to inform communities across the country about COVID-19 vaccines, be sure to protect yourself from criminals who are seeking to commit fraud. Do not provide personal, medical, or financial details to anyone in exchange for vaccine information, and make sure you obtain vaccinations from trusted providers.
- Be cautious of unsolicited requests for personal, medical, and financial information. Medicare does not call beneficiaries to offer COVID-19 related products, services, or benefit review.
- Be cautious of COVID-19 survey scams. Do not give your personal, medical, or financial information to anyone claiming to offer money or gifts in exchange for your participation in a COVID-19 vaccine survey.
- Be suspicious of any unexpected calls or visitors offering COVID-19 tests or supplies. If you receive a suspicious call, hang up immediately.
- Do not respond to, or open hyperlinks in, text messages about COVID-19 from unknown individuals.
- Photos of COVID-19 vaccination cards should not be shared on social media. Posting content that includes your date of birth, health care details or other personally identifiable information can be used to steal your identity.
- If you suspect COVID-19 health care fraud, report it immediately by calling 800-HHS-TIPS (800-447-8477).
For more information visit: https://oig.hhs.gov/fraud/consumer-alerts/fraud-alert-covid-19-scams/. You can also report any suspected health care fraud to KelseyCare Advantage by calling, mailing, or emailing us at:
- Call Fraud, Waste, and Abuse Hotline: 713-442-9595
- By mail:
11511 Shadow Creek Parkway
Pearland, Texas 77584
- Email us: MedicareFraudHotline@KelseyCareAdvantage.com
You can also visit our website to submit your concern online.